Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Beyond Hot Dogs

Growing up at an all girls' summer camp in Monterey, TN, Camp Monterey made primitive camping simple and easy. Overnight camping was primitive (no tents, bathrooms, running water, electric hook ups). The campers packed a sleeping bag, ground cover, change of clothes, flashlight and meals to be cooked over the fire were hot dogs and s'mores. In the 80s the pie irons were introduced.






Thanks to Pinterest and all the blogs, campers are now sharing their recipes and tips for a great camping experience. In fact, I experimented with corn dogs in the pie iron. Preheat your pie iron, mix up some cornbread mix, spray liberally the insides of the pie iron, spread cornbread mix and add sliced hot dogs. Place the iron in the coals and check frequently. I got to talking and forgot about my meal, so that's why I'm posting the photo. Don't do what I did. 
Fish tacos, on the other hand, were sauteed up in the wok with a little oil. I'd brought some cole slaw from home. I put both of these on a flour tortilla and topped it with some hot sauce. Bam! It was divine.

These were just two of the dinner entrees. And of course, it's not a camp out without s'mores. But instead of the traditional Hershey bar, I used Nutella instead.
These are just some starter dinner ideas for cooking out. I'd love to hear your ideas. Chic Camping

No comments:

Post a Comment